Labels

music (32) Jim Croce Project (31) FO (21) shawl (11) Godzilla Ridge (10) sweater (10) afghan (9) socks (8) Noro (7) grief (7) Kogarashi (6) Weasley sweater (6) hat (6) Wingspan shawl (5) cowl (5) free pattern (5) scarf (5) tutorial (5) Darjeeling socks (4) color (4) mittens (4) spinning (4) Cliff Eberhardt (3) Grande Plage (3) Knitter's Book of Socks (3) Sheldon and Leonard (3) TV (3) Zauberball (3) capelet (3) designers (3) lace (3) magic loop (3) mawata (3) re-knit (3) Hummingbird socks (2) John Cowan (2) Perry (2) audiobooks (2) babies (2) cables (2) dogs (2) dyeing (2) fingerless mitts (2) frog pond (2) gauge (2) handspun yarn (2) holidays (2) kids (2) plying (2) shawlette (2) yarn (2) 198 Yards of Heaven (1) Ayatori (1) Beaucoup Blue (1) CO (1) Cat Bordhi (1) Christmas (1) Christmas knitting (1) Comfy Cardigan (1) Crash Test Dummies (1) Dawes (1) Dr. Dog (1) EZ (1) Everlast (1) Gangstagrass (1) Great Lake Swimmers (1) I-cord (1) James Keelaghan (1) John Gorka (1) John Hiatt (1) John Prine (1) Josh Ritter (1) Knitty (1) LYS (1) Laura Marling (1) Leo Kottke (1) Little Women (1) Lucinda WIlliams (1) Lyle Lovett (1) M1L (1) M1R (1) Marc Cohn (1) Michelle Shocked (1) Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (1) Noro Kogarashi (1) Noro Silk Garden (1) Noro Slik Garden (1) Ollabelle (1) Owling Hat (1) Patty Griffin (1) Principles of Knitting (1) Rickie Lee Jones (1) Ruby Red (1) Schoppel Wolle Zauberball (1) Shawn Colvin (1) Sulka (1) The Avett Brothers (1) The Civil Wars (1) The Decembrists (1) Tom Waits (1) Valley Yarns Northfield (1) Violent Femmes (1) WIP (1) Windowpane Cowl (1) baby blanket (1) bag (1) baking (1) beads (1) blocking (1) book review (1) books (1) cabled capelet (1) chart (1) colorwork (1) failure (1) fleece (1) gifts (1) girl power (1) gloves (1) gratitude (1) increase (1) intarsia (1) k.d. lang (1) knitters (1) knitting (1) life skills (1) lifeline (1) love (1) merino-bamboo (1) mistakes (1) mochimochi (1) purchased pattern (1) reading while knitting (1) reknit (1) sheep (1) silk hankies (1) sisters-in-law (1) solitude (1) synthetics (1) tam (1) textured stitch patterns (1) thrummed mittens (1) unventing (1) urban fantasy books (1) weather (1) wine (1) wool (1) worsted weight (1) yarn bowl (1)

Friday, April 20, 2012

Almost FO: 98 Yards of Heaven Shawl

Pattern:  98 Yards of Heaven by Christy Verity
Yarn:  Mirasol Sulka, 60% merino, 20% alpaca, 20% silk, 55yds/50g
I lost the tags and so don't have the color -- it's a deep plummy purple IRL, none of the photos I have reflect the color exactly.
Needles:  Addi Lace Click, size 9, 32 in.


I began this shawl a week or so ago because a knitter in one of my classes was making it, and I couldn't resist.  My student used a smooth worsted weight yarn, but I knew I had four skeins of Mirasol Sulka in my stash, just waiting for the right project, and this was it.  Sulka is listed as a heavy worsted weight yarn, but I'd call it a chunky or bulky weight, especially when knit loosely, as in lace.  I love heavier yarns for lace projects -- I call it "fat lace" and the contrast between the delicate patterning and the thick, fluffy yarn is very pleasing to me. On a size 9 needle, I got 3 1/2 st/in,which gave me a fabric that was dense enough to make a warm shawl (although with 60% merino, 20% alpaca, and 20% silk, the warmth of the garment could not possibly be in question), but which I knew would loosen up during blocking.  In addition, blocking would allow the yarn's natural halo to bloom -- very nice in a thick shawlette designed to be worn around the neck, where it will suffer minimal abrasion -- if you tried to use this yarn for a sweater, you'd have to keep a razor or sweater stone in your pocket at all times to remove the pills that would form every time you moved your arms.



One small snag; I ran out of yarn with 6 rows left to do of the lace edging.  I wished I had bought one more skein, but this was yarn I got at a yarn store that went out of business, and there were only four left when I purchased it -- that's why I thought this was the right pattern -- I had 4 skeins, at 55 yds each, for a total of 220 yds, and the pattern calls for (obviously) 198, but clearly the bulkier weight of the Sulka ate up a bit more yardage than the aran weight the original pattern called for.  No matter, I think it looks fine as it is.




I love the two-leaf detail at the center top edge -- all of the rest of the lace pattern flows out from this attractive beginning:



I'll try to get some action shots when the girls get home to model for me, so you have a better idea of how cozy and wearable it is.

In other news, here are the three finished squares of the Godzilla Ridge afghan out of two skeins of Kogarashi:


Can you see the color progression: starting from left to right, each square was knitted from the bottom up, so the purple in the bind-off row from the far left square begins the bottom edge of the center square, and the yellow-green at the top of the center square is used to start the bottom of the third square on the right.

My plan for the next few weeks is to finish up all my current UFOs, particularly, the afghan, the mawata silk scarf, and the Perry sweater.  We'll see how I do; I have yarn and patterns for several shawls and sweaters that keep beckoning to me as I pass by all the places in my house where I stash yarn.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you: I love to knit lace patterns in bulkier yarns. Have you tried felting lace? It's cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't. but it sounds intriguing! I'll have to do some research and then give it a try.

    ReplyDelete