Labels

music (32) Jim Croce Project (31) FO (21) shawl (11) Godzilla Ridge (10) sweater (10) afghan (9) socks (8) Noro (7) grief (7) Kogarashi (6) Weasley sweater (6) hat (6) Wingspan shawl (5) cowl (5) free pattern (5) scarf (5) tutorial (5) Darjeeling socks (4) color (4) mittens (4) spinning (4) Cliff Eberhardt (3) Grande Plage (3) Knitter's Book of Socks (3) Sheldon and Leonard (3) TV (3) Zauberball (3) capelet (3) designers (3) lace (3) magic loop (3) mawata (3) re-knit (3) Hummingbird socks (2) John Cowan (2) Perry (2) audiobooks (2) babies (2) cables (2) dogs (2) dyeing (2) fingerless mitts (2) frog pond (2) gauge (2) handspun yarn (2) holidays (2) kids (2) plying (2) shawlette (2) yarn (2) 198 Yards of Heaven (1) Ayatori (1) Beaucoup Blue (1) CO (1) Cat Bordhi (1) Christmas (1) Christmas knitting (1) Comfy Cardigan (1) Crash Test Dummies (1) Dawes (1) Dr. Dog (1) EZ (1) Everlast (1) Gangstagrass (1) Great Lake Swimmers (1) I-cord (1) James Keelaghan (1) John Gorka (1) John Hiatt (1) John Prine (1) Josh Ritter (1) Knitty (1) LYS (1) Laura Marling (1) Leo Kottke (1) Little Women (1) Lucinda WIlliams (1) Lyle Lovett (1) M1L (1) M1R (1) Marc Cohn (1) Michelle Shocked (1) Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (1) Noro Kogarashi (1) Noro Silk Garden (1) Noro Slik Garden (1) Ollabelle (1) Owling Hat (1) Patty Griffin (1) Principles of Knitting (1) Rickie Lee Jones (1) Ruby Red (1) Schoppel Wolle Zauberball (1) Shawn Colvin (1) Sulka (1) The Avett Brothers (1) The Civil Wars (1) The Decembrists (1) Tom Waits (1) Valley Yarns Northfield (1) Violent Femmes (1) WIP (1) Windowpane Cowl (1) baby blanket (1) bag (1) baking (1) beads (1) blocking (1) book review (1) books (1) cabled capelet (1) chart (1) colorwork (1) failure (1) fleece (1) gifts (1) girl power (1) gloves (1) gratitude (1) increase (1) intarsia (1) k.d. lang (1) knitters (1) knitting (1) life skills (1) lifeline (1) love (1) merino-bamboo (1) mistakes (1) mochimochi (1) purchased pattern (1) reading while knitting (1) reknit (1) sheep (1) silk hankies (1) sisters-in-law (1) solitude (1) synthetics (1) tam (1) textured stitch patterns (1) thrummed mittens (1) unventing (1) urban fantasy books (1) weather (1) wine (1) wool (1) worsted weight (1) yarn bowl (1)

Monday, May 28, 2012

FO: Godzilla Ridge Afghan


Well, here it is, all finished; the Godzilla Ridge Afghan.  Mine was made using:

Yarn:  Noro Kogarashi, 9 balls, assorted colors
Needles:  Addi Click Interchangeables, size 8 -- for the squares
                Clover bamboo DPNs. size 10 -- for the i-cord border

I was surprised to find that the knitted i-cord border only took one ball of yarn -- I had about 4 yds left over when finished.  I love, love, love how it looks -- like a frame around a painting.  Some notes on construction:  I wound up ripping and reknitting the border several times due to gauge issues.  First, I used size 8 DPNs, and the border gauge was tighter than the gauge of the squares, causing the edge to pull into a curve.  Going up two needle sizes solved that problem.  That was on the sides (the longer sections in the picture.)  I thought I was ok to go ahead with the top in the same manner -- just picking up one stitch for every edge stitch.  However, since knitted stitches are wider than they are long, doing that across the top didn't work -- again, the border was coming out smaller than the edge I was knitting it to.  To correct for this discrepancy, I tried knitting into every fourth stitch twice, and that worked to solve the problem.

Gauge issues aside, I have to say, this was one of my favorite knitting projects ever.  I loved knitting it, the finishing was a snap, and I learned a few things about i-cord.

Next OTN:


Sheldon and Leonard, by Wendy Johnson.  I love knitting Wendy's patterns.  I learned to knit toe-up socks from her basic sock recipe, and have knit many of the patterns from her Toe-up Socks For Everybody.  What I like about her patterns is that they are written by a knitter's knitter -- interesting construction and techniques, but not too fiddly or unwearable.  Her patterns are always very clearly written and well tested, too.  This will be my first completely knitted sideways shawl.  I'm interested to see how the border works -- this seems to me to be one of those techniques that, once you learn it, can be adapted to endless variations of your own.


The yarn is Schoppelwolle's Zauberball, which I have been itching to try since I saw the amazing Wingspan shawls on Ravelry that people knitted from it.

I'll leave you with an action shot of Godzilla Ridge:



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this afghan!! And the edging looks great.
    Also, check out Chatham County Line! This is the song that got me hooked on them :) - the Carolinian.
    http://youtu.be/cpHic38qyWI
    My email is amaiale at gmail dot com! :)

    ReplyDelete