Labels

music (32) Jim Croce Project (31) FO (21) shawl (11) Godzilla Ridge (10) sweater (10) afghan (9) socks (8) Noro (7) grief (7) Kogarashi (6) Weasley sweater (6) hat (6) Wingspan shawl (5) cowl (5) free pattern (5) scarf (5) tutorial (5) Darjeeling socks (4) color (4) mittens (4) spinning (4) Cliff Eberhardt (3) Grande Plage (3) Knitter's Book of Socks (3) Sheldon and Leonard (3) TV (3) Zauberball (3) capelet (3) designers (3) lace (3) magic loop (3) mawata (3) re-knit (3) Hummingbird socks (2) John Cowan (2) Perry (2) audiobooks (2) babies (2) cables (2) dogs (2) dyeing (2) fingerless mitts (2) frog pond (2) gauge (2) handspun yarn (2) holidays (2) kids (2) plying (2) shawlette (2) yarn (2) 198 Yards of Heaven (1) Ayatori (1) Beaucoup Blue (1) CO (1) Cat Bordhi (1) Christmas (1) Christmas knitting (1) Comfy Cardigan (1) Crash Test Dummies (1) Dawes (1) Dr. Dog (1) EZ (1) Everlast (1) Gangstagrass (1) Great Lake Swimmers (1) I-cord (1) James Keelaghan (1) John Gorka (1) John Hiatt (1) John Prine (1) Josh Ritter (1) Knitty (1) LYS (1) Laura Marling (1) Leo Kottke (1) Little Women (1) Lucinda WIlliams (1) Lyle Lovett (1) M1L (1) M1R (1) Marc Cohn (1) Michelle Shocked (1) Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (1) Noro Kogarashi (1) Noro Silk Garden (1) Noro Slik Garden (1) Ollabelle (1) Owling Hat (1) Patty Griffin (1) Principles of Knitting (1) Rickie Lee Jones (1) Ruby Red (1) Schoppel Wolle Zauberball (1) Shawn Colvin (1) Sulka (1) The Avett Brothers (1) The Civil Wars (1) The Decembrists (1) Tom Waits (1) Valley Yarns Northfield (1) Violent Femmes (1) WIP (1) Windowpane Cowl (1) baby blanket (1) bag (1) baking (1) beads (1) blocking (1) book review (1) books (1) cabled capelet (1) chart (1) colorwork (1) failure (1) fleece (1) gifts (1) girl power (1) gloves (1) gratitude (1) increase (1) intarsia (1) k.d. lang (1) knitters (1) knitting (1) life skills (1) lifeline (1) love (1) merino-bamboo (1) mistakes (1) mochimochi (1) purchased pattern (1) reading while knitting (1) reknit (1) sheep (1) silk hankies (1) sisters-in-law (1) solitude (1) synthetics (1) tam (1) textured stitch patterns (1) thrummed mittens (1) unventing (1) urban fantasy books (1) weather (1) wine (1) wool (1) worsted weight (1) yarn bowl (1)

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Plus Three Makes a Dozen

Here are the last three Godzilla Ridge afghan squares:


Again, these were knit from two skeins of Noro Kogarashi.  Each group of squares used the full two skeins, with just a yard or two left over.

I played around with various arrangements, and this is the one I think I will use (or not; it seems to look pretty good however I lay out the squares, as long as I keep the bright colors well distributed):


For seaming techniques to consider, I turned to an old friend:


I will be using the selvedge seam, as it is nearly invisible on the right side, and not too bulky on the wrong side.  The Kogarashi is too tender to use for seaming, but I have some Cascade 220 Handpaint yarn left over from a sweater I made for Margaret, my sister-in-law, that should work well.  It's light green and purple and greyish-beige, and so should just disappear into the fabric -- guess I'll find out when I try it.  I'm going to sew the squares together horizontally first, in rows of three, and then sew those strips together.  Doing it that way makes for fewer seams altogether, and shorter ones, as well.

After I finish the seaming, I will knit a border around the edge.  I want something fairly stiff, rather than lacy, to give support and structure to the afghan, as the Kogarashi is a very soft yarn and I don't want it to stretch out of shape.  I'm thinking seed stitch, maybe with mitered edges if I am feeling ambitious.  Let's see how the seaming goes, first.

No comments:

Post a Comment